I am myopic. Nearsighted. Not figuratively, literally. And I have and do at times use it as a saving grace.
Lasik and other treatments could cure me, but why remove what is at times a blessing. You see when I get enough of the world and seeing and feeling all I do, I take off my glasses. Shapes and faces change, my relationship to the space I am in is altered.
It's simply a real time break for me. Removing my specs is like taking a timeout. I don't see, I don't engage, I simply breath and let my other senses take over.
I would hope the world in knowing that little selfish secret would understand. Me as a man who is hyper-attentive to all around me needs an escape of sorts.
Sometimes we all just need to tune out. The harshness, the sameness, the drudgery, the falsehoods that lay before us, simply taken out of focus for a moment or two.
With a mind to busy to meditate, and a body that has trouble ceasing motion, simply taking things out of focus is a great blessings.

No comments:
Post a Comment