On my Sunday shuffle through the rain and wind, and the mental tug of war with my inner doubts and missteps, slips, slides and curse words, I met my latest spirit guide.
Many Native Americans believe in spirit guides from the animal world. I have a keen sense that such do exist. Some pick their own, others have them revealed to them. I have 4 now recognized. The Dove, The Deer, The Bear, and most recently The Turtle.
As I meandered along that rain slicked trail and battled with my own inner dialogue, I rounded a turn to find a beautiful Eastern Box Turtle, glistening in the rain. Sidestepping and slipping away from my inner bickering, I wished the little plodder safe journeys.
At that moment I felt a sense of calmness overcome me, despite my soaked to the bone appearance, obvious drop in core temp, and sour demeanor, I found peace. The turtle's wisdom was imparted to me.
"It does not matter the speed, pace or distance. The journey is it's own reward, the finish is just the beginning of another adventure"
My last 2 miles were filled with a sense of lightness and warmth. I got it. I am the turtle. This is my journey, at my pace and speed, and it is the reward. The finish is really the beginning. The circle has no end.
The sun crept through the clouds as I emerged from the woods. Tired, wet and content. I will mark that moment of clarity with a tattoo honoring my new spirit guide. A turtle will be etched into my right thigh signifying slow but relentless progress in my wonder journey to me.

No comments:
Post a Comment